Ch 3: Computer Hardware
Explore the motherboard
- Become familiar with the motherboard and other internal components, such as the power supply and internal hard drives.
- Install a DDR4 memory module.
Upgrade a video card
- Upgrade a video card with an HDMI connection.
Connect a monitor
- Connect a monitor with an HDMI cable.
- Connect the mouse and USB hub to the computer.
- Set up a computer with the appropriate cabling.
Install a SATA device
- Install 2 SATA drives. Hook up the appropriate connections.
- Install drives and create volumes on the disks.
- Format a USB drive.
- Use PowerShell to convert a drive to NTFS.
Perform disk maintenance
- Run disk cleanup on drive C. Optimize and defragment the C and D drives.
Troubleshoot system power
- Troubleshoot the computer power supply to get the computer to start.
- Troubleshoot memory modules to find the bad memory. Remove the bad memory. Boot the system to windows to verify the memory is working.
Troubleshoot processor installation
- Troubleshoot, remove and install a new CPU.
Troubleshoot SATA devices
- Troubleshoot the SATA drive not being detected.
Ch 4: Computer Software
Explore the Windows 10 OS
- Configure screen saver, set up remote desktop, add a folder in file explorer, and enable a network adapter.
Change Windows settings
- Alter the display settings.
- Explore some of the settings options: Email, WiFi, Bluetooth, iOS version, Mail settings, and Safari.
- Use a USB thumb drive to update drivers.
Find BIOS settings
- Enter the BIOS, and then explore the settings.
Clear CMOS settings
- Clear the CMOS settings by removing the battery.
Enable VT in the BIOS
- Load the BIOS, and change the configuration.
Create virtual machines
- Set up a virtual machine using Hyper-V Manager.
Manage files and folders - Try the Lab
- Create and edit files and folders.
Assign file permissions
- Grant permissions to a folder.
Copy files from a flash drive
- Copy files from a flash drive to the documents folder
Configure NTFS permissions
- Give file access rights to groups
Use PowerShell commands
- Use PowerShell to copy files, check disk, kill a task, and map a folder to a remote computer.
Use Linux shell commands
- Use the Linux shell to do file tasks.
Use Windows desktop applications
- Launch Microsoft Word. Open and save a file. Create an application shortcut.
Use Microsoft Word
- Use basic editing features.
Use Microsoft PowerPoint
- Open a PowerPoint presentation. Use basic editing to alter the presentation.
Install and configure a local printer in Windows 10
- Select a new printer and set it to be the default printer.
Print a document in Windows 10
- Change the printer, and print the document.
Manage applications in Windows 10
- Use Windows task manager to disable applications you don’t want to launch at startup. Use file explorer to change the compatibility settings.
Repair programs in Windows 10
- Use the settings menu to repair an application.
Ch 5: Internet Technologies
Clear browser cache
- Clear all data in the browser from the settings menu.
Configure browser settings
- Adjust browser settings for pop up blocker and location tracking.
Use a proxy server
- Select a proxy server in Windows 10.
Copy files to OneDrive
- Copy a file in Windows 10 from Documents to OneDrive.
Email etiquette in Microsoft Outlook
- Reply to an email using reply and reply to all.
Configure smart devices
- Pair Internet of Things devices in the iPad.
Ch 6: Networking
Install a network adapter
- Install a network card, start the computer, and check the connection.
Setup an ethernet connection
- Install an ethernet cable, and check the network setting.
Use a wireless network
- Install a USB wireless device. In Windows 10, connect to the wireless network.
Pair Bluetooth headphones with a mobile device
- Pair a set of headphones to the iPad.
Configure network printing
- Share your printer to be a network printer. Add the printer in the settings and devices menu.
Create a home wireless network
- Install a wireless access point to the network. Open the laptop, and add the wireless connection.
Connect a cable modem
- Add a cable modem, and check connectivity in Windows.
Configure a wireless infrastructure
- Install a cable modem and an ethernet router to the system. Connect the computer to the router, and check the internet connection.
Manage mobile devices
- Set up iPad to use SSL encryption for email. Connect the iPad to the wireless network.
Configure a VPN Connection
- Add a VPN connection on the iPad. Change the security on the VPN, and connect to the VPN.
Explore network configuration information
- Launch PowerShell, and use the ipconfig command to get info on the Internet connection.
Configure TCP/IP settings
- Use network settings to set up a static IP address. Set a preferred DNS server.
Configure Windows update
- Set up Windows to automatically install software and security updates.
Fix network adapter problems
- Use device manager to disable the current network adapter. Enable the RealTek adapter.
Fix a network connection
- Check the internet cable for connections. Change the TCP/IP setting to the fixed values listed.
Fix a network connection 2
- Troubleshoot the network connectivity. Run ipconfig, notice the network is not connected. Replace the ethernet cable. Recheck the connection.
Ch 7: Databases
Microsoft Access: Explore an Access database
- Use Access to delete a record, change a record, and print a report.
Microsoft Access: Design a database
- In Access, double-click the table to see the contents. Press the view button for table details. Go to relationships to view the relationships between tables.
Microsoft Access: Tables and Relationships
- Create a table in Access. Set up fields in the table. Make a one to many relationship by clicking relationships, and add the two tables.
Microsoft Access: Queries
- Examine a query in Access. Use the design view to see the details of the query.
Microsoft Access: Create queries for a school database
- Create a query to show names and courses in the table. Have it display only the students with a score of less than 70.
SQL: Select all records in a table
- Use the SQL builder to list the records in the people table.
SQL: Select records with a single condition
- Create a query that selects all the records for employees at the east branch.
SQL: Select records with multiple conditions
- Create a query that selects all the records for accounting employees at the central branch.
SQL: Add a new record to a table
- Create a query that will add a record to the people table.
SQL: Delete a record from a table
- Create a query that deletes a record.
Ch 8: Programming
- Use the code visualizer to answer questions using an if..else statement.
- Use the code visualizer to answer questions using a for loop.
- Use the code visualizer to answer questions using a for loop pulling names from an array.
- Use the code visualizer to answer questions using a while loop.
- Use the code visualizer to answer questions using a function.
- Use the script.js window to answer the questions using an if…else statement.
- Use a while loop to analyze the monster’s health.
- Create a for loop that counts by fives from 0 to 50.
- Use the sample code to run through the array.
- Create a function that will find the difference between two numbers.
HTML: Define a webpage’s head and body
- Add the page's head and body. Add some p tags.
HTML: Add headings to a webpage
- Add H1 and H2 tags to the content.
HTML: Create ordered and unordered lists
- Create two lists, one ordered and one unordered.
HTML: Add images and hyperlinks - Try the Lab
- Use the code builder to add an image and a hyperlink to the document.
HTML: Link a CSS file to an HTML page
- Add a link to the CSS file in the document.
CSS: Resize an image
- Add CSS commands to resize the image and center the caption.
CSS: Change a page’s fonts
- Use the editor to italicize text, change the font color, and change the font.
CSS: Add a drop-shadow to an element
- Use the editor to add padding and a drop-shadow.
- Use the editor to change the background color on button click.
Ch 9: Information Systems
Use Microsoft Excel tables to analyze data
- Use an Excel sheet in the lab to average numbers. Then format it as a table.
Use Microsoft Excel charts to analyze data
- Create a line chart. Use the sheet and chart to answer lab questions.
Use Microsoft Access reports to analyze data
- Use the sales report to answer the lab questions.
Ch 10: Cybersecurity
Recognize social engineering exploits 1
- Read the emails and delete emails that look like phishing or whaling attacks.
Recognize social engineering exploits 2
- Read emails and delete any that seem to be hoaxes or have malicious attachments.
Create a user account
- Use Windows settings to add a user account.
Configure iPad access control and authentication
- Setup a secure passcode on the iPad.
Configure file encryption
- Use file explorer to encrypt the finances folder. Assign the right to view 2019report.xls.
Secure a home wireless network
- Login to the router as admin. Change the SSID and encryption type. Change the administrator credentials.
Enforce password settings
- Use Windows administrative tools to change the password policy. Change the lockout policies.
Configure remote wipe
- Login to icloud.com, find the iPad, and erase it.
Use Windows Defender
- Use Windows security to change settings for file exclusions, process exclusion, and check for updates.
Configure Windows firewall
- Use Windows settings to turn the firewall on for private and public networks.
Install a UPS
- Install a UPS. Plug the power cables, network cable and USB into the UPS.
Create RAID arrays
- Using the disk management utility, select disks 1 and 2 as drive e. Create disks 3 and 4 as a mirrored volume.
Use backup software
- Use Windows settings to set up daily backups.
Configure file history
- Use Windows settings to set up file history.
Restore data from file history
- Restore data from file history.
List of Technologies Featured in the Course
Computer Hardware (Ch 3 & 10)
- Explore Motherboard (Ch 3)
- Install Memory (Ch 3)
- Upgrade Video Card (Ch 3)
- Connect a Monitor (Ch 3)
- Install Peripherals (Ch 3)
- Set Up a Computer (Ch 3)
- Install SATA Devices (Ch 3)
- Troubleshoot System Power (Ch 3)
- Troubleshoot Processor Installation (Ch 3)
- Troubleshoot SATA Devices (Ch 3)
- Install a UPS (Ch 10)
Windows 10 (Ch 3, 4, 6 & 10)
- Create Volumes (Ch 3)
- Format Drives (Ch 3)
- Perform Disk Maintenance (Ch 3)
- Explore Windows 10 (Ch 4)
- Change Windows Settings (Ch 4)
- Manage Files and Folders (Ch 4)
- Assign File Permissions (Ch 4)
- Copy Files From a USB Drive (Ch 4)
- Configure NTFS Permissions (Ch 4)
- Use Windows PowerShell (Ch 4)
- Install and Configure a Local Printer (Ch 4)
- Manage Applications (Ch 4)
- Repair Programs (Ch 4)
- Copy Files to OneDrive (Ch 5)
- Configure Network Printing (Ch 6)
- Configure Windows Update (Ch 6)
- Create a User Account (Ch 10)
- Use Windows Defender (Ch 10)
- Use Backup Software (Ch 10)
- Configure File History (Ch 10)
- Restore Data from File History (Ch 10)
- Create a RAID Array (Ch 10)
Firmware (Ch 4)
- Update Drivers
- Find BIOS Settings
- Clear CMOS
- Update Firmware
- Enable VT in the Bios
Linux (Ch 4)
iOS (Ch 4)
Hyper-V (Ch 4)
Microsoft Word (Ch 4)
- Perform Basic Word Operations
- Print a Document
Microsoft PowerPoint (Ch 4)
- Perform Basic PowerPoint Operations
Microsoft Excel (Ch 9)
- Use Microsoft Excel Tables
- Use Microsoft Excel Charts
Microsoft Outlook & Email (Ch 5, 10)
- Learn Email Etiquette in Microsoft Outlook (Ch 5)
- Recognize Social Engineering Exploits (Ch 10)
World Wide Web (Ch 5)
- Subscribe to an RSS Feed
- Perform Advanced Searches
Google Chrome (Ch 5)
- Clear Browser Cache
- Configure Browser Settings
- Use a Proxy Server
Social Media (Ch 5)
- Set up a Social Media Profile
The Internet of Things (Ch 5)
Wired and Wireless Networking (Ch 6 & 8)
- Connect a Cable Modem (Ch 6)
- Configure a Wireless Infrastructure (Ch 6)
- Manage Mobile Devices (Ch 6)
- Configure a VPN Connection (Ch 6)
- Configure TCP/IP Settings (Ch 6)
- Establish Ethernet Connection (Ch 6)
- Use a Wireless Network (Ch 6)
- Pair Bluetooth Headphones (Ch 6)
- Create a Home Wireless Network (Ch 6)
- Fix a Network Connection (Ch 6)
- Configure File Encryption (Ch 8)
- Secure a Home Wireless Network (Ch 8)
Microsoft Access (Ch 7 & 9)
- Explore an Access Database (Ch 7)
- Design a Simple Database (Ch 7)
- Create Tables and Relationships (Ch 7)
- Create Queries (Ch 7)
- Create Reports (Ch 9)
SQL (Ch 7)
- Select All Records in a Table
- Select Records with a Single Condition
- Select Records with Multiple Conditions
- Add a New Record to a Table
- Delete a Record from a Table
- Create a Variable and Function
- Create an If..Else Statement
- Create a For Loop
- Create a For Loop with Array
- Create a While Loop
Python (Ch 8)
- Learn Basic Python Scripting
HTML (Ch 8)
- Define a Webpage’s Head and Body
- Add Headings to a Webpage
- Create Ordered and Unordered Lists
- Add Images and Hyperlinks
- Link a CSS File to an HTML Page
CSS (Ch 8)
- Resize an Image
- Change a Page’s Fonts
- Add a Drop Shadow to an Element
iPad (Ch 10)
- Configure iPad Access Control and Authentication
- Configure Remote Wipe